Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Prose and Poem

I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday this past Christmas season and that getting into the swing of things hasn't been too hard. That's what I hate the most about New Year's: I dislike the need to return to daily life after joyously partying with the world through the entire month of December. January would be depressing, but lucky for me, it includes my birthday.

This year is my twenty-first and I get to spend it at work. Yay! My hope is that I'll be able to switch it with someone for another day during the week as I can't afford to take anymore days off from Casey's. But, friends have been asking if I am going to have another party like last year, and my original plan was to do so, but ever since Sassafraz caught fire and burned to a rubble, I suppose that won't be happening. Besides, I hate planning my own party. It's too weird. I do love it when other people plan them though. (That last statement was not a hint, but simply an observation. I feel weird bringing attention to myself for my own party. It's just a thing I find difficult.)

Anyway, I could keep complaining how "my day" won't be quite as I had hoped due to some scheduling issues, but then I realized how self-centered that would seem...and how much it truly is. After all, I have a wonderful family (however strange at times) who loves each other, I have a truly fantastic boyfriend whom I wouldn't trade for anything in the world and who makes me appreciate life so dearly, and I have a Heavenly Father who could have given up on me, on us, some two thousand years ago, but instead used His own life to save ours.

Then I thought: My birthday is going to be special no matter what...I have health, friends and family. What's not to be joyous about?

So, I'm going to turn my dreary month of January and not only get back into the swing of things, but love every minute of every day. So, take that self-pity!

Heart of Worth

For it is
but not of worth
but of heart,
for worth not come by well
is not well at all
if it is not accomplished with
heart
and with life of
heart,
for heart with poor motive
isn't heart at all
if it is not accompanied with
purity,
and with lofty
aspirations.
For all it is
is simply simple
and simply complex:

As all is judged of worth
but derived of heart.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Amy I have come to realize that there is something missing in my world: well two people actually. Amy McPhail and Adam Clarke, a lovely young couple that I know.
DO THEY STILL EXIST? They have disappeared from my life!

This is a problem, and one which should be quickly redeemed. Next time you come over to our luxurious apartments, YOU HAD BETTER COME DOWN TO 129! Now that we don't have the show, we need to find time to hang out!

P.S Someone's birthday soon!

 
At Friday, January 19, 2007 12:44:00 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for your comment, I just wanted to tell you guys I'll be thinking and praying for you on the Jr High retreat this weekend, I hope its a lot of fun and a special time of growth. I loved it last year, its so good for bonding between the kids, and the leaders too. Can't wait to hear about it, and to hang out (hopefully next week?)
xoxoox

 
At Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Howard said...

Hey,

Well that's a terrible attitude! You're gonna miss out on your birthday because your boss is too hard-nosed to let you work another day, and chatty Kathy won't switch 'because he has to take her little brother to the doctors that day.' Yeah, right. If that isn't the end-all-be-all!

WHAT ABOUT YOUR BIG DAY!!! You're not getting any younger, ya know.

Take it from me. Life is tough. Ya gotta ball all your emotion up inside yourself, and let it out at an inappropriate moment (like at a dinner party for your boss. Tell him a thing or two!).

-Howard

 
At Sunday, February 04, 2007 10:44:00 PM, Blogger Howard said...

Hey Amy,

Sorry about that last post. I stubbed my toe right before I sent it.....that and I've been skipping my medication.

In truth, that's a great attitude, and I commend you for it. And it was a beautiful poem, might I add...I might.

I'll catch you at Jr. High this Friday. Have a good week.

-Howard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home