Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Toll House Cookie Squares

This is the ultimate party cookie! For some strange reason, it seems to be welcomed at every party that I've ever held or hosted. Then, the times when I get a little more creative and bake something cute and festive, I'm always asked, "What? No Toll House?" It's a cookie phenomenon that, if you wish to try, the recipe is below. Feel free, however, to add or omit the nuts, or change up the extract from vanilla to maple or almond (but then be careful what type of nuts you use, if any). In any case, enjoy and try not to eat the batter, eh?


Toll House Cookie Squares
375°F
10 - 12 minutes (metal pan)
12 - 14 minutes (glass pan)

Cream together:
- ½ cup margarine
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar (or turbinado)
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt

Add:
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (real or artificial)
- ¼ teaspoon water

Beat in:
- 1 egg

Add:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda

(Optional) Mix well and add:
- ½ cup chopped (and slightly toasted) walnuts

Directions:
- Spread in a greased pan. Metal (13x9in) pan is preferable, but supposedly you can bake it in a glass one, too.
- Sprinkle the top with 1½ to 2 cups of PC Decadent chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1 minute at specified baking temperature to melt chips.
- Remove pan from oven and, with a knife, marble the top. Don't be afraid of scraping the bottom...It just means that you'll have a thoroughly chocolate cookie!
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes for a metal pan, or 12 - 14 minutes for a glass pan.
- Cool completely, then cut away from pan and then into desired size squares.

Makes about 24 squares, more or less, depending on pan size and square size.

Eat up and enjoy!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:35:00 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

You are hilarious! Can you please post the one recipe about how to survive in a cave?!

And no....sadly I don't know David Peltier..or how ever you spell his name! Man, I wish I did! Imagine he just came and commented on my blog site?! I would freak. I think instead this was Stephen Snowball...a goofy guy that I know. haha

anyway, see you soon Missy!
I see my friend Drew has befriended you via the blogging world too, what fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home