Tuesday, February 14, 2006

"The Boy Friend" Can Make a Girl Think

Well, I just got back home after seeing the Broadway show, directed by Julie Andrews, called "The Boy Friend." What a spectacular production! I was sitting there watching all the singing and dancing and I began to think back to my figure skating days and how much I miss them. Nothing beats gliding and spinning and jumping and expressing yourself through the music. I miss the grace and jazzy creativity of the short and long programs I used to choreograph. Sigh, if only... Then my thoughts went to how much I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to dance and sing at church in our own Broadway-style productions.

The girls (and you know who you are) know what I mean. We are all so busy with school and work that it was nice to focus our creativity that God gave us on an activity that was used to reach out to others.

But even beyond all that, I was thinking about the idea of having a boyfriend in one's life. I was sitting there realizing that, although I missed the companionship and having a person that I could give my love to, I realized that it had to be a God-thing for it to work out. Sure, I could dress skimpy and head to a bar, but what would I find there besides some drunken one-night stand with a man whose name I won't be able to remember in the morning. Sigh, and to think that people actually do that is sad. What fun is it to give yourself away like that? Looking back on my previous relationship experiences, it's totally, 100% worth it to wait and keep as much of myself as possible for the one God has for me. I don't know who he is, but he had better not be perfect.


(You might be thinking, "Huh?")

I hope and pray that he'll love me for who I am (including the weirdness and quirks...and the applesauce 'peeve), and that he isn't looking for the perfect wife. All I want is someone who I can wake up every morning beside and, despite his drooling on the pillow, I can still lay there and know that I am married to the best guy alive. I hope that he'll want to use our marriage for God and for spreading the Good News. I know that some of you think I'm crazy (*ahem... Marielle... lol) for wanting to get married before I turn 24, but I not only want to share my life with someone, but I want to team with my husband for God and His plans for us. I want to go on mission trips with him and grow in God together, as well as (God-willing) run that foster home I hope to have (because every child deserves to be loved for just being themselves and to be hugged good-night).

Oh, and another thing: That future guy had better not be well-off in the financial sense. I never want to have anymore than what I need. I grew up always having what I needed, but many times, going without the extras. Life isn't any fun when you have too much. Sure, it's great to have a shoe collection (like mine) and dress to the nines, but to be perfectly honest, I was perfectly happy in Cuba when all I had was what I packed...and what I packed were the necessities. I have been so grateful for never having too much. It made those times, when our family would head over to Wendy's for dinner, a special thing.

But getting back to what I was saying though, I hope for my future children's sake that God keeps us in check financially so that we only have what we need and so that we can continue to learn how to be good stewards of God's things.

So, even on this Valentine's Day, no matter how incredibly lonely I might feel, I keep praying that God will keep me in check and on the right track so I can meet the "boy friend" that God has waiting for me...I am waiting for him because true love waits...and I promise to wait.

God bless everyone and happy Valentine's Day!

3 Comments:

At Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:47:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Hey Amy

What a great post, thanks for sharing your heart and thoughts....lets go and see another musical together soon! I saw "Umoja" last week, a South African musical currently downtown, and it was fantastic! I sure do miss our Christmas show rehearsals too...the other day I did "foom foom" in my bedroom for fun to see if I could remember the moves!! I am really looking forward to see which lucky man God has in store for you...don't you wish you could look into a crystal ball sometimes? I know I do....I was telling my Mom that today! Ok, thanks again Amy, really enjoyed reading it....talk to you soon!

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 6:14:00 PM, Blogger Drewfasa said...

Don't worry, I'm sure you will be able to meet a man who fits your qualifications (ie. poor, unperfect, and drooling) before you turn 24! Unless of course you happen to be 23 years and 364 days old in which case you might want to ask Hannah to help you look.

Nice to make your aquaintance!
-drew

 
At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 5:27:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I can't help it. I don't want to marry Prince Charming unless he's got a heart of gold and an even bigger love for Christ. Call me crazy, but I'd rather be an old spinster than marry someone who wasn't who God had intended.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home